According to a 2012 report by the National Fire Protection Association, fire departments respond to an average of 72,000 carbon monoxide cases each year. Carbon Monoxide, or CO2, is a colorless, odorless gas by-product of burnt fuel. It’s usually linked to wood stoves, car engines and other fire combustion sources such as gas or oil furnaces.
Why should you be constantly aware of CO2?
Not to be overly dramatic, but understanding the causes and ways to prevent excessive CO2 exposure is a matter of life and death. CO2 is one of the leading reasons of accidental poisoning deaths in the US*, and conditions of CO2 poisoning is often confused as the flu, viral infections and prolonged fatigue, among many others. This makes CO2 poisoning a very serious concern for any Windsor homeowner. Serious poisoning takes place from intaking large concentrations of CO2, but poisoning has also been reported to occur over many months or years. Some symptoms may include nausea, vomiting, flu-like symptoms, dizziness and fatigue.
So what can you do?
- If you don’t have a CO2 detector in your home, get one right away. You can call Bryant Heating & Cooling Service Experts to purchase one today.
- Batteries should be checked on a consistent basis for existing CO2 detectors. It's also a good idea to replace the detector every 3-5 years.
- If you experience or have experienced a few of the symptoms cited above, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning, and get a second opinion if necessary.
- Schedule routine gas furnace maintenance every fall to verify no carbon monoxide leaks are present at the beginning of heating season.
- If your furnace is approaching the end of its useful life, think about a proactive home furnace replacement service and upgrade to a brand new high efficiency system.
*emedicinehealth.com. Prevention information for Carbon Monoxide poisoning may be inaccurate or incomplete; none of these methods guarantee prevention of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.