Whether you add a sunroom, family room or other room to your home, being cozy in your new room regardless of outdoor temperatures is a priority. However, they can create a unique problem for contentment. This is since extending ductwork is costly. And that your heating and cooling system may not be able to handle the higher load, since it was sized without considering the addition.
One of the most affordable options is to get a mini-split. This system delivers energy-efficient heating and cooling, with no ductwork needed. Discover more about mini-splits and how getting one for your addition can be a fantastic solution.
All About Mini-Splits and How They Heat and Cool
A ductless mini-split, as they’re very similar to ducted heat pumps that southern homeowners have relied on for decades.
Heat pumps are extremely energy efficient as they shift heat to make your addition more comfortable. In actuality, many have achieved ENERGY STAR® certification, which could make you eligible for added rebates and lower your energy expenses for a long time.
Another special feature involves zoned heating and cooling. Because each room typically has its own indoor unit, you can choose your preferred temperature from room to room. As an example, a mini-split AC is extremely beneficial if you have a space with precise temperature needs, like a home gym.
Why a Mini-Split is Worth It for Your Room
Having a mini-split system is worth it for areas that don’t have ductwork. Here are several reasons why it’s wiser than extending ductwork and using your present heating and cooling system.
- Extending ductwork is pricey. Installing ductwork in your new addition can be expensive. Although the total cost will depend on your house, it could be thousands of dollars.
- Your existing home comfort system might become stressed. When your current heating and cooling system was put in, it was based on the square footage of your home prior to the addition. This can overwhelm your system and make it wear out faster.
- Your comfort might decrease. Since your heating and cooling system is sized for exact square footage, your comfort might decrease if your system is required to cover a larger space. Your heating and cooling could be less effective, and your energy bills could get more expensive as a result of the system needing to turn on more regularly.
What Size Mini-Split You Should Install
Like regular systems, mini-splits are available in several sizes based on the square footage they’ll be heating and cooling. Here are three of the most frequently installed sizes:
- 400-650 square feet – 12,000 BTU mini-split
- 600-1,000 square feet – 18,000 BTU mini-split
- 800-1,300 square feet – 24,000 BTU mini-split
When you work with our Experts at Bryant Heating & Cooling Service Experts, we’ll help you get the proper size for your new space. And your budget.
An ENERGY STAR mini-split unit can result in sizable energy savings over its lifetime, which can be 20 years or more when properly maintained. ENERGY STAR says getting one can save you 60% on heating and 30% on cooling, in comparison with an electric heating system and conventional air conditioner.
Trust Bryant Heating & Cooling Service Experts for Your Mini-Split Installation
From taking care of all your questions and helping you choose the ideal model to delivering Expert mini-split installation, Bryant Heating & Cooling Service Experts can handle all your mini-split needs. If you’re thinking about a home addition or recently completed one, we can help. Give us a call at 226-773-3357 now to request a free consultation and estimate.