When severe weather comes our way, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a lot of repercussions. Staying safe and protecting your home are your greatest priorities, but did you know there are steps you can take to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm is over, your AC repair technician will give you the thumbs up?
Taking even a few minutes to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm strikes can help you protect from damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you schedule for an AC repair professional to check your system post-storm, they can likely provide you with good news that your prep worked.
At Bryant Heating & Cooling Service Experts, we recognize that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for threatening weather, and time may not give you much notification, so we’ve put together a a checklist of what you can do before and after a severe weather event occurs.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are common during rough weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to make sure it is totally off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover may keep away any debris that gets thrown around during threatening weather. Just make sure you have turned the system fully off before covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Make sure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are stored in a secure place so that they don’t get strewn about during the bad weather.
- Clear the debris. Once it is ok to go back outdoors, be sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you see any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Bryant Heating & Cooling Service Experts prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly inspect your system and figure out whether or not an AC repair is needed.
Of course we all hope that bad weather doesn’t hit us in Windsor, but we have to be prepped if we want the best chance to dodge any major damage or other issues that can come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prep for severe weather in Windsor or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has come and gone, give us a call at 226-773-3357 or schedule an appointment with Bryant Heating & Cooling Service Experts through our online scheduler.